Monday, August 29, 2011

"I Beat People Up"

"It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up." - Muhammad Ali

Hey, that's my job, too, although my younger sister would disagree with who was beating up whom when we were kids.

I admire Ali, however, this whole "it's just a job" mindset bothers me. It's not "just a job." If it was "just a job," why do so many of us put so much effort into it? What would that say about the relationships we build while at our jobs? Are they just acquaintances that serve one purpose and that is all we care about? Of course not.

These are all questions that demonstrate it isn't "just a job." Our performance at our jobs reflect on who we are as people. The way we approach our job, the care and effort we put toward our job, the friendships we build while at our job all show that it isn't just at a job. I am thankful that I have never thought of what I have the opportunity to do every day as "just a job".

We may never know how what we do every day affects other people or who it all affects, but I think we can all agree that the way we go about our work affects more than just us. Try telling people today how their job affects yours. Let them know that you appreciate that it isn't "just a job" to them, because it makes your life easier. Why not let them know, and make their day better too?

- Matt Hoying

No comments:

Post a Comment